Women at Work: The Role of the ILO

No More On The Docks – An Evening with Dockers Preservation Society

Saturday, February 11th, 2016, 8.30 pm The Ferryman, 35 Sir John Rogerson’s Quay


An evening of entertainment with song writer Paul O’Brien .Hosted by the Dublin Dock Workers Preservation Society and the East Wall History Group , this evening will celebrate the history and stories of the Docklands. We will remember the workforce and the community , the characters and the people who travelled from our shores , in an entertaining mix of songs and storytelling. In addition to the material based on experiences in the Dublin Docks, Paul has also travelled all over Port cities in Europe and has found inspiration in the similar histories found there . While celebrating the history of Dublin Port , we will also be remembering those who worked and lived there but are no longer with us.

This is a FREE EVENT , all welcome . If you have a song you’d like to perform or a story you’d like to share please fell free to take part.

Arbour Hill Prison and Graves


Dalymount Park and Great War

Harold Sloan2_zpsbvydnkbt

Outside Left Book Launch

Outside Left Launch

Under One Roof – Plaque to Newspaper Editor and Labour Leader

A commemorative historic plaque will be unveiled  this weekend at the birthplace of former newspaper editor Douglas Gageby  [he edited the Evening Press and later The Irish Times] and the former residence of trade union leader Jim Larkin [founder of the ITGWU, now Siptu] , in Ranelagh, Dublin 6.
Participants will include Jim Larkin’s grand-daughter, Mrs Stella McConnon; members of the Gageby family; Siptu president Jack O’Connor; Prof. John Horgan; and local historians. James Connolly’s great-grandson and local historian, Jim Connolly Heron, will also be  there.
The project has been funded by former Irish participants in the Journalistes en Europe fellowship programme in Paris. Mr Gageby had served as a member of the Journalistes en Europe Council.
The event is at:
54 Beechwood Avenue Upper – Ranelagh – Dublin 6
 at 2.30pm on Saturday,  14th January 2017

   THE FORGOTTEN HEROINES OF THE RISING by Joe Duffy (author of Children of the Rising)



” History, despite its wrenching pain cannot be unlived , but , if faced with courage need not be lived again “


Thankfully none of the 77 members of Cumann na mBan that have rightly featured so strongly in the revised narrative of the 1916 Rising centenary were killed during the rebellion.

They have been commemorated in 2016 by their central role in the RTE TV series, Rebellion, the Richmond Barracks project, the National Museum, books, murals; and a stunning bus montage by the acclaimed artist David Rooney which showed the ‘women of the rising’.

But as the centenary draws to a close and debate continues about how the “women of the rising ” were commemorated, “all failed to mention the 45 adult women who died violently in Easter Week 1916. In total at least 485 were killed in the Rising -the majority were civilians – 54 women and over 200 men.


SOS to relatives of doomed ship for information and memorabilia for commemorative centenary


Organisers of the centenary events to mark the sinking of the Dún Laoghaire to Holyhead Mail Boat, RMS LEINSTER, on October 10th, 1918, have appealed for descendants of those who were aboard the ship to make contact with them with a view to receiving personal  invitations to the coming events.  The organisers are also appealing to anyone who has artefacts from the ship to loan them to the organisers for a major exhibition to mark the centenary.
The Mail Boat was sunk just a month before the end of World War 1, after it had departed Dún Laoghaire, resulting in the  the loss of over 500 lives, making it the worst recorded disaster on the Irish Sea.
All interested are requested to write to the Centenary Committee c/o 3 Eblana Avenue, Dún Laoghaire, County Dublin.


Belfast and 1916 – A Hundred Years On: Is that long enough to allow time for reflection?


« Older Entries   Recent Entries »